originally from Valerie Evans
brought to you by Megan Clayton
2&1/2 cups quite warm water
2 &1/2 - 3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp yeast, softened in 1/4 cup water with a little sugar
3-3&1/3 cups white flour
Mix hot water, honey, oil, and salt together. Add whole wheat flour an d softened yeast. Add white flour and knead 3-5 minutes.
Let rise in bowl until double in size (1&1/2-2 hours). Punch down dough, let rest for 10 minutes. Form into loaves in pan (makes 2 loaves). Let rise about 1 hour. Bake at 400 for first 5 minutes, then turn down oven to 375 for 25 more minutes.
This is a pretty forgiving recipe. I've substituted several things in and out with good results. I like some molasses, or agave nectar for all or part of the honey. I also like adding wheat germ for up to about a cup of the whole wheat flour. Sometimes I add about 1/4 cup of ground chickpea flour for nutrition as well (replacing an equal part of flour).
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
8 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment